Noise Control Rule at the Kawartha Lakes Flyers Field
- The flying of excessively noisy models at the field is prohibited. Excessively noisy models are those for which the noise level is above 98 dB at 3 metres.
- The measurement procedure shall be: With the model running at full power, the measurement will be taken at the specified distance from, and at 90 degrees to, the centerline of the model placed on the ground at the flying site, on the right hand side, downwind from the model. The microphone will be placed on a stand 30 cm. above the ground in line with the motor. No noise reflecting objects shall be nearer than three metres to the model or microphone.
- Turbine powered aircraft are exempt from this rule.
- Helicopters are exempt from this rule until such time as the club develops an effective procedure for measuring the noise level of helicopters.
- Visiting flyers are expected to comply with this rule, consequently all invitations and posting of club events shall specify that the noise rule is in effect. The rule shall also be posted on the club website.
It is the experience at our field that most models, even large gas powered IMAC type models can comply with this rule. Some adjustment of the propeller selection and/or throttle limitation may be required. The club has a noise meter, and is willing too work with you to help resolve any noise issues.